If a relationship between a Cancer and Sagittarius is to work out, it will require some understanding and compromise. Cancer is a water sign that longs for emotional security and stability. Sagittarius is a fire sign that desires freedom. The basic individual wants and needs of each will color their approach to any relationship they might have.
The Odd Couple
Cancer and Sagittarius have different psychological wants and needs. There's no right or wrong, each just lives his or her life differently. They don't have a lot in common, and the differences that begin as minor annoyances are likely to work their way toward major frustrations unless compromises are made.
- Cancers are warm and loving. They need close intimacy, deep caring, sensitive exchanges of feeling, emotional security, roots, home, family, and lots of nurturing behavior going both ways.
- Sagittarians need the freedom to be, say, think, go, and do what they want. They are not very good at the here-and-now details of life or the subtle emotional nuances of interpersonal exchanges.
Cancer and Sagittarius will almost never be attracted to each other romantically but if they find themselves moving toward romance, there will be significant differences that will need to be worked out. It's even possible warning bells will go off, telling them not to get romantically involved.
- A Sagittarian can't feed Cancer's quieter, more sensitive stay-at-home nature and eventually, Cancer can find Sagittarius unreliable, unavailable, and insensitive.
- A Cancer's protective instincts can dampen a Sagittarian's enthusiasm for life and eventually, they can find Cancer's need for loving attention a bit like a ball and chain.
In the Bedroom
It's in the bedroom where a romantic relationship between these two may first take a downturn.
- Sagittarius is into experimentation and doesn't take sex too seriously. They see sex as a physical act filled with fun, games, jokes, and laughter.
- Cancer is shy and traditional. They see sex as a serious expression of love and a slow, sensual, and very intimate sharing of emotions.
In truth, if these two can work out their differing feelings about the act of making love, any other compromises will be easy.
To Succeed as a Couple
For this relationship to work, each needs to accept as valid they are different and be willing to make compromises.
- Sagittarius has to slow down, learn to deal with Cancer's moody nature, and enter their world of family visits, downtime at home, and hanging with a small group of longtime friends.
- Cancer will have to gather their courage and embrace Sagittarius' need for adventure, travel, and meeting new people. Cancer must be willing to be more spontaneous, take a few risks, and change their routines from time to time.
Cancer and Sagittarius both love good food and company, have a unique sense of humor, and love to travel. Additionally, both are loyal, care about their friends, and are always ready to lend a friend a hand. All of this is a pretty good basis for a long-term friendship.
- Cancer is protective and will curb some of their Sagittarius friend's penchant for risk taking and show them it's best to look before you leap and to think before you open your mouth.
As friends, they also have separate lives and because of this, few compromises will be necessary unless their differences are carried to the extreme.
Cancer takes everything to heart. Sagittarius takes everything with a grain of salt. In a work environment, Sagittarius can seem all play to Cancer, while Cancer will seem like all work to Sagittarius unless they are in complementary positions.
- Cancers like to lead, direct, and manage. They have great skill in initiating a plan, organizing finances, and managing day-to-day affairs.
- Sagittarians like to be out and about talking to people. They are best at promotion, marketing, and outside sales.
So, while it's true they're not suited for the same job description when working toward a common goal, these two can combine their complementary skill sets to make an effective and successful team.
Play to Each Other's Strengths
When a Cancer and Sagittarius do form a relationship of some kind, its most striking aspect is the support and safety the two provide each other. Once they understand each other's attitudes, accept each other's differences, and play to each other's strengths, they can create an odd couple combination that can be an enduring relationship.