You often hear individuals say they were born on a cusp, meaning their birthday falls when the sun was about to enter the next astrological sign. The cusps of Leo are Cancer/Leo and Leo/Virgo. However, even if you were born on a cusp, your sun is either in one sign or the other. The sun changes signs on different dates each year, so the only way to find out if you were born on a cusp is to have your birth chart calculated.
People born just before the sun enters a new sign are hybrids who often identify with the traits of two different signs. They can seem to have a personality that is sometimes at odds with itself.
- If you're a Leo born from approximately August 19 through 22, you were born on the Leo/Virgo cusp. This cusp is where Leo's need for praise and attention clashes with Virgo's shy and retiring anti-social tendencies.
- If you're a Cancer born from approximately July 19 to 22, you were born on the Cancer/Leo cusp. This cusp is where the emotional sensitivity of Cancer clashes with bold "see me" nature Leo.
Individuals born on either of these two cusps can be a curious mix of introvert and extrovert.
The Leo/Virgo Cusp
Leos born when the sun was on the Leo/Virgo cusp are extraverts learning to be introverts. They combine the showier fiery traits of Leo with the practical, reserved, and earthy qualities of Virgo.
They tend to:
- Vacillate between being gregarious and being silent and observant
- Be likable because, despite their showy appearance, they have an air of modesty that makes them seem approachable
- Be observant and creative
- Be undermined by periods of self-doubt and neurotic worries
- Be stubborn, blunt, and quarrelsome perfectionists
- Think they know what's best and often give opinions and suggestions that are unwelcome
If those born on this cusp can bring the best of both Leo and Virgo together, they can be quietly inspired individuals, who possess a winning combination of passion and dedication. Leo/Virgo cusp strengths include:
At their best individuals born on the Leo/Virgo cusp are charismatic and great at working with people to solve a problem. They seem to always know the right thing to say, can be are persuasive, and have very high standards for themselves and others.
Leo/Virgo cusp weaknesses include the following tendencies:
At their worst, individuals born on the Leo/Virgo cusp are self-protective, overbearing and controlling know-it-alls, who are loud, rude, bossy and always correcting others.
Leo/Virgo Cusp Compatibility
Those born on the Leo/Virgo Cusp are Leos. Leos are most compatible with the fire signs, Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius. However, those born on this cusp will also resonate with and be drawn to individuals who express Virgo characteristics.
Famous Leos on Virgo's Cusp
Famous Leos born on the Virgo cusp include the following:
- Tori Amos was born on August 22, 1963.
- Wilt Chamberlain was born on August 21, 1936.
- Kenny Rogers was born on August 21, 1938.
They tend to:
- Swing back and forth between feeling on top of the world and extraordinarily confident to feeling insecure and depressed
- Have a childlike nature and will sometimes behave like a spoiled child
- Be easily hurt and not show it
- Have good memories and trouble getting over hurts or slights
- Mask their private pain behind public joy and playfulness
- Keep their private lives private
- Be so insensitive to others or personally sensitive that they come across as self-absorbed
If you were born on this cusp and strive to bring the best of Cancer and Leo together, you will possess courage, imagination, sensitivity, and artistically creative talents. Cancer/Leo cusp strengths include the following:
- Subtly alluring
- Loving and charitable
At their best, individuals born on this cusp are empathetic leaders who are caring, passionate and can connect easily with others. They're emotionally intuitive, as well as charismatic, and have the ability to persuade people to do what they ask.
Cancer/Leo cusp weaknesses include the following tendencies:
- Emotionally blocked
At their worst, individuals born on this cusp are inclined to manipulate people and situations and use their ability to persuade others for their own personal gain.
Cancer/Leo Cusp Compatibility
Those born on the Cancer/Leo cusp are Cancers. Cancers are the most compatible with the water signs, Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces. However, those born on this cusp will resonate with and be drawn to individuals who express Leo characteristics.
Famous Cancers on Leo Cusp
Famous Cancers born on the Leo cusp include the following:
- Robin Williams was born July 21, 1951.
- Willem Dafoe was born on July 22, 1955.
- Ernest Hemingway was born July 21, 1899.
The Logic of Sign Cusps
The progressed sun is an extension of your birth sun, and it shows how you mature and grow as a person. It's the progressed sun that reveals why being born on a cusp makes a difference. The progressed sun moves one degree forward every year from the day of your birth. This means if you are born when the sun was about to enter the next sign, you began combining the traits of the following zodiacal sign into your solar personality from a very young age and as you grow older, those traits will slowly merge with those of your natal sun sign.