As Sagittarius' Season wanes, nights in the Northern hemisphere begin to grow noticeably longer until the Sun moves into the astrological sign of Capricorn. The longest night of the year marks the beginning of Capricorn season. Capricorn's season is an earthy, inward time of promise that lasts from about December 21st through January 20th.
Capricorn is the Cardinal Earth sign that has the power to change your life in tangible ways. The Sun's entry into Capricorn marks the December solstice and the start of winter in the northern hemisphere. At the winter solstice, the Sun appears to stand still, only to be brought back to life three days later. Capricorn's season brings quiet but also renewed light to the world, as well as the assurance that even the longest, darkest "night of the soul" will end and life will be reborn by the Sun's growing light.
The Winter Solstice
For millenniums humanity has welcomed the rebirth of the Sun at the winter solstice. The slow death of the Sun and the fear of starvation over the winter months was of great concern to early civilizations. This led them to hold solstice celebrations that heralded the return of the Sun and hope for a new life.
Celebrate the Return of the Light
Kick-off Capricorn's season by following the ancient traditions of celebrating the return of the Sun with a solstice gathering of family and friends.
- Have everyone light a candle to symbolize that their inner lights will continue to shine even on the darkest night.
- Then honor the Sun by placing a bowl of great smelling orange and clove pomander balls on your table, and serving sun-colored foods, such as yellow cupcakes or cookies frosted with bright yellow icing.
- Surprise everyone with a bag full of gold-covered chocolate coins.
- To aid your guests in gaining a deeper awareness of Capricorn's season, take time during the festivities for a guided solstice meditation.
- Invite your guests to stay up all night with you and greet the Sun as it rises the next morning.
Capricorn and its ruler Saturn relate the earth element, the physical world, and overcoming all the trials and limitations that come with being in the world. When the Sun enters Capricorn, the season of patience, discipline, and commitment has arrived. Capricorn season is the time to go within, reflect and plan for the coming year.
Questions to ponder during Capricorn's season:
- What do I want my future to look like?
- How can I make my hoped-for future a reality?
- What am I willing to work hard for?
- What do I want to accomplish?
- What has limited my success in the past?
- How can I gain perseverance?
- In what area of my life do I feel overly responsible?
Claiming Your Power During Capricorn's Season
Capricorn's symbol is that of a mythological goat-fish. The goat-fish symbolizes Capricorn's connection both the physical material world and the unseen mystical and spiritual world. There's immense creativity on the physical plane during Capricorn's season. This is the zodiacal season when you can and should actively participate in magically creating your own personal reality.
- Find a quiet spot, align yourself with your core and focus.
- Reflect on the questions above.
- Write down your answers then bury the paper in soil.
- Light an orange candle and surround it with small stones to attract personal strength and authority, as well as success and prosperity in the material world.
- Look into the light of the candle as you summon the energy of Capricorn and its ruling planet, Saturn, to gift you with the earthly power to succeed in your endeavors.
More Down-to-Earth Suggestions
Below are some more down-to-earth examples of what you might also want to do during Capricorns season.
- Write a personal mission statement
- Lay out a business plan
- Have conversations with the wise elders in your family and community
- Read the biography of someone you admire
- Spruce up your work wardrobe
- Take a tour of nearby monuments and statues
- Go rock climbing
- Visit a construction site or observe stonemasons at work
- Handwrite a letter to a government official with your compliments or concerns
Capricorns and Their Season
Happy birthday, Capricorn! It's time to reflect on and reaffirm your inborn ability to persevere, survive, and overcome limitations, as well as to embrace your power to achieve and accomplish. It can be a powerful experience to meditate and reflect on all the positive qualities of Capricorn on the day of your solar return. This is the day when your inner Capricorn Sun is precisely aligned with the outer Capricorn Sun.
Other Astrological Signs
Generally, the other Earth signs, Taurus and Virgo are in their element during Capricorn Season, but the fire signs, Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius, as well as the Air signs, Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius, might have a hard time with the solitariness and seriousness of Capricorn's season. Of course, everyone has Capricorn somewhere in their birth chart, and the Capricorn Sun shines its light in those areas of every person's life.
New Year's Resolutions
It's apt that the tradition of making resolutions for the New Year falls during Capricorn's season. This is the perfect time to embrace the power of the season with some Capricorn resolutions. Enjoy the quiet, solitary energy of Capricorn's season, because next up on the zodiacal season agenda is the collective and communal energy of Aquarius's season.