As always in astrology, what Neptune retrograde (Rx) means to an individual depends on the entire birth chart and the person's attitude and willingness to take responsibility for their experience. However, Neptune in retrograde, both natal and by transit, does have some basic meanings and effects.
The ruler of Pisces, Neptune, is the planet that clouds your perception of reality. Neptune is a slow-moving generational planet, spends about 14 years in each sign. Neptune is in retrograde about 40% of each year.
Meaning of Neptune Rx in a Birth Chart
Due to the amount of time Neptune spends retrograde, many individuals are born with Neptune Rx in their birth charts. Neptune Rx is not considered as personally meaningful as having an inner planet (Mercury, Venus, or Mars) retrograde. But Neptune Rx in a birth chart does have meaning. Neptune Rx means that the individual is meant to discover the infinite truth behind their illusions, realize what's truly sacred, and become a source of inspired compassion and oneness.
Affect of Neptune Retrograde in a Birth Chart
A retrograde planet in a birth chart acts inwardly and by its own set of rules. Individuals with Neptune retrograde in their birth chart may have inwardly repressed and become confused about their connection to anything divine and feel they are unworthy of unconditional love. They often place their faith in something and someone and make this person or thing their "savior." Neptune's astrological sign, its ruler, house placement, and aspects can give clues as to who or what they have made the "savior" in their lives. This is also where the disillusionment of Neptune Rx will be continually felt.
Transiting Neptune Retrograde: Facing Reality
Neptune takes 164 years to travel through all 12 signs of the zodiac. Transiting Neptune's snail-like movement around a birth chart means that it will not traverse around an entire birth chart during a lifetime. It also means Neptune's effects are subtle, slippery, and even sneaky. When transiting direct, Neptune puts a veil on your eyes and helps you hide from unwanted realities. Once it stations retrograde, the Neptune veil begins to rise, and any illusions you have about the area of life it is transiting through are slowly stripped away. This often leaves an individual face-to-face with harsh and painful realities.
Transiting Neptune in Pisces
Neptune entered Pisces in April 2011 and will stay until January 2026. During this time, it will station retrograde each year. Neptune will spend the entire 14 years in the Pisces areas of your birth. Transits from Neptune to another natal planet can last several years. If a personal planet gets caught in the grip of one of the Neptune Rx stations, the effect can be exceptionally long-lasting. This is one of the reasons Neptune transiting Rx has such significance. The good news is that eventually, Neptune Rx can wash away all illusions and allow you to see clearly what's holding you back.
Neptune in Pisces Rx Dates and Degrees
Get a natal chart based on the time, date, and location of birth, find the Pisces and consider the astrological house or houses Pisces occupies. Check to see if you have natal planets in Pisces or planets in other signs at the degrees listed below. These are the areas of life and parts of your personality that are in for a deep dive during Neptune's movement through Pisces.
- Stations Rx on June 18, 2018, at 6°29' Pisces - Stations direct on November 24, 2018, at 13°41' Pisces,
- Stations Rx on June 21, 2019, at 18°43' Pisces - Stations direct on November 27, 2019, at 15°55' Pisces
- Stations Rx on June 22, 2020, at 20°57' Pisces - Stations direct on November 28, 2020, at 18°09' Pisces
- Stations Rx on June 25, 2021, at 23°11' Pisces - Stations direct on December 1, 2021, at 20°24' Pisces
- Stations Rx on June 28, 2022, at 25°26' Pisces - Stations direct on December 3, 2022, at 22°38' Pisces
- Stations Rx on June 30, 2023, at 27°41' Pisces - Stations direct on December 6, 2023, at 24°53' Pisces
- Stations Rx on July 2, 2024, at 29°55' Pisces - Stations direct on December 7, 2024, at 27°07' Pisces
- On March 30, 2025, Neptune enters Aries
- Stations Rx on July 4, 2025, at 2°10' Aries, and on October 22, 2025, Neptune in retrograde motion returns to Pisces
- Stations direct on December 10, 2025, at 29°22' Pisces
- Moving in direct motion, on January 26, 2026 Neptune leaves Pieces and will not to Pisces for 164 years.
Interpreting Neptune Rx
Interpreting Neptune Rx's personal meaning and significance in a birth chart and by transit can be pretty complicated. However, if you're feeling particularly disillusioned, isolated, and lonely, or if the person or things you have placed so much faith in seems to be gradually slipping away, or if you feel you'd rather die than face the harsh realities, you're probably in the midst of a Neptune transit. This is often when individuals visit a certified professional astrologer who can help them objectify and rationalize what's happening to them and why.