Medical astrology is the branch of astrology that deals primarily with health concerns. Whereas most astrologers seek to glean the deep truths of a person's psychological makeup from an individual's natal chart, medical astrologers look at the same individual's natal chart to determine which, if any, health issues one is likely to experience throughout the course of her life.
Uses of Medical Astrology
Medical astrology should not be used to diagnose illness. However, a competent medical astrologer can analyze a person's birth chart to determine:
- Periods of stress or lowered vitality when one could have health problems
- Bodily strengths and weaknesses
- Proneness to various disease states
- A tendency toward various types of illnesses
- Nutritional deficiencies
- The severity and duration of the disease
- The course of a disease by the use of a chart called a decumbiture chart
- The best date(s) and time(s) for an elective procedure, such as surgery
How the Signs of the Zodiac Relate to the Body
A good way to begin understanding medical astrology is to gain an understanding of how the astrological signs of the zodiac relate to the various parts of the body. In medical astrology each sign of the zodiac is associated with an anatomical location in the body. The specific indications of each sign in terms of parts of the body are derived from the sign's position within the wheel of the zodiac, as well as the sign's basic symbolism and archetypes.
- Aries is associated with the head, brain, skull, cranium, eyes, pituitary gland, and the adrenals.
- Taurus is associated with the neck, mouth, jaw, throat, medulla and brain stem, larynx, thyroid, vagus nerve, and vago-parasympathetic nervous system.
- Gemini is associated with the chest, lungs, respiratory tract, and nervous system.
- Cancer is associated with the stomach, uterus, and female breasts.
- Leo is associated with the heart, circulatory system, major arteries, and thoracic spine.
- Virgo is associated with the intestines, especially the duodenum and small intestine.
- Libra is associated with the kidneys, lower back, genitourinary tract, and lumbar spine, as well as the hair, skin, and all aesthetic body parts.
- Scorpio is associated with the eliminative organs - colon, rectum and bladder - as well as the sexual organs, gonads, and genitalia.
- Sagittarius is associated with the locomotor apparatus - the hips, loins, thighs, and buttocks - as well as the liver.
- Capricorn is associated with the knees, bones and joints, the skeletal system, and the structural connective tissue.
- Aquarius is associated with the shins, calves, and ankles, as well as the sympathetic nervous system and the peripheral vascular system.
- Pisces is associated with the feet and lymphatic system.
As an example, eating disorders are common among Sun sign Virgos, as are stomach ailments like ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome, while Sun sign Sagittarians are vulnerable to conditions that affect the hips, loins, thighs, or buttocks.
The Planets in Medical Astrology
As an example, sometimes a difficulty with the Sun (no matter what sign the Sun is in) can indicate a heart problem because the Sun is the ruler of Leo, and Leo rules the heart. However, this would need to be confirmed by other planetary indications.
Generally, the astrological signs are the anatomical correspondence, and the astrological planets correspond to the physiology. To understand this, the medical astrologer must know how each planet reacts or acts to indicate a possible disease state in the body.
The descriptions that follow are descriptive of a planet involved in some way in a hard aspect or in combination with another planet.
- Afflictions to the Sun can result in inflammation, infection, fever, and energy problems.
- Affliction involving the Moon can be descriptive of emotional disorders, water retention, allergic reactions, mucous formation, altered body rhythm, acute ailments, or female disorders.
- Affliction involving Mercury can describe mental or nervous disorders, respiratory disorders, and possibly speech disorders. It can sometimes indicate hormonal problems.
- Afflictions involving Venus can indicate an imbalance of bodily energies, benign growths, a blood sugar imbalance, problems with the venous circulation, and a lack of tone.
- Afflictions to Mars can result in inflammation and infection, fever, blood ailments, wounds, acidosis, burns, surgery, sudden illness, and muscular disorders.
- Afflictions to Jupiter can indicate problems with arterial blood circulation, disease caused by excess, obesity, difficulty in fat assimilation, or problems with the function of the liver.
- Afflictions to Saturn are indicative of chronic disease, hardening, crystallization, obstruction, malignancy, atrophy, skin disease, and under activity of the organ ruled by the sign Saturn tenants in the chart.
- Afflictions to Uranus can result in incoordination, spasm, sudden illness, convulsions, seizures, stress-related ailments and heart palpitations, and accidents caused by electricity or explosion.
- Afflictions involving Neptune can indicate drug addiction, alcoholism, coma, poisoning, malignancy, hidden illness, a drug overdose, drug sensitivity, lowered immune system, and misdiagnosis.
- Afflictions involving Pluto may indicate malformation, malignancy, massive infections, bacterial infections, or amputation.
The Brain and the Body Are Intimately Intertwined
It's important to remember that most hard aspects in a natal chart or by transit will express themselves at the level of psychological issues or events only. However, a psychological issue or an event, such as a minor accident, may be the background of physical or heath problems.
As an example, suppose the Sun is Square Saturn in an individual's natal chart. This indicates the person's life force is held back in some way. Psychologically, this is an individual who feels unworthy, has a lot of inner tension, and feels restricted or weighed down by duties and responsibilities. However, this is an individual who is also motivated to push through those feelings, work harder, and never give up.
When it comes to health, individuals with Sun Square Saturn can suffer from overwork and exhaustion, which can result in all sorts of health issues, including chronic fatigue, chest pain, and heart palpitations. These health concerns are likely to be exacerbated by difficult transits or progressions. This is where the predictive aspect of medical astrology comes in.
Can Astrology Predict Future Health Issues?
Medical astrology delves into the more predictive aspects of astrology. The field of astrological interpretation is divided into two main groups: the predictive and the deductive. Although these two groups may go by a variety of labels, in general, the deductive deals mainly with what exists in a person's natal chart, whereas the predictive may look into a natal chart or an event chart, create horoscopes for a future date, and make predictions about the future based on those. The difference lies in a distinction between "what is" and "what will be."
The predictive aspect of medical astrology advances preventive medicine to an entirely different level. No longer is prevention limited to nutrition and health maintenance, but it can be targeted at strengthening specific areas of the body against upcoming health challenges, as indicated by future transits and progressions to the natal horoscope.
Hippocrates, one of the most outstanding figures in the history of medicine, said, "A physician without knowledge of astrology has no right to call himself a physician." Medical astrology was, for thousands of years, an essential part of medicine. It's a complex astrological discipline that requires years of study and a keen, analytical mind, as well as knowledge of the body.
Though it's not for the novice or amateur astrologer, there are many experienced astrologers who specialize in medical astrology. Additionally, most medical astrologers are also practitioners of some kind of alternative medicine or therapy, be it herbal medicine, nutrition, homeopathy, or others, and most will frequently refer clients to therapists and therapies they can't provide.
The Doctor of Last Resort
Certainly astrology itself is far more than the daily horoscopes found online or in magazines and newspapers. This brief overview only scratches the surface of medical astrology. Astrology is a complex study, and medical astrology is an even more complex and specialized field. Though in the postmodern era, a medical astrologer might seem to be the doctor of last resort, this type of astrology done by an expert in the field of medical astrology can complement your consultations with a physician or alternative health care practitioner by leading you to ask the right questions.