Making friends is easy, but staying friends can sometimes be a challenge. You have friends at work, friends you shop with, and friends you go to the gym with, but the most important friend of all is a best friend you can do anything with. Comparing star (sun) signs can give insight into how friends are likely to relate to one another.
Star Sign Friendship Matches
How well friends get along is based on the astrological elements. Some element works better together than others. Signs of the same element are compatible. However, it's the star sign matches whose different elements combine in such a way as to enhance or emphasize the best qualities of each other that make for natural, unguarded, inspiring, and long-lasting friendships.
Star Signs of the Same Element
Star signs of the same element create a compatible and harmonious blending. They share the same fundamental nature and have a similar outlook on life. Although their modes of behavior are different (cardinal, fixed, or mutable), they can sustain each other's energy. Still, this is such an easygoing friendship that there's the risk of boredom, reputation, and even bringing out the worst in each other.
- The fire signs, Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius, love good times. So, when it comes to friendships, they gravitate to each other. They can be fun partners in crime, and they're all passionate about life. The problem is their fire sign friends are likely to be competing with each other in everything they do.
- The earth signs, Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn, are rooted in their practical, hardworking materialistic natures and have little time for much else. The problem with earth and earth friendships that is they can be all work and no play.
- The air signs, Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius, are thinkers and communicators. As friends, they share an interest in being out and about, socializing, talking, learning, and sharing information. The problem with air and air friendships is that they can be all talk and no action.
- The water signs, Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces, are receptive, intuitive, empathetic, even psychic. They engage with the world and those around them emotionally. The problem with water and water friendships is the friends can develop an unhealthy emotional attachment to one another.
Complementary Star Signs Elements
Friends whose star signs are in complementary elements are alike in some ways but different enough to keep the friendship interesting. These are friendships that tend to grow each person's self-esteem, confidence, and courage. The combination of complementary star signs stimulates personal growth. The things these friends share with one another can open the eyes of each to new ideas and ways of dealing with the world around them.
- Fire and air signs are complementary
- Earth and water signs are complementary
Aries as a Friend
Aries is the cardinal fire sign of the zodiac. As a friend, Aries is outgoing, spontaneous, and adventurous. If you are looking for a fun partner in crime, Aries just might be a friend for you. Nothing beats Aries's special connection to Gemini and Aquarius. Gemini and Aquarius just naturally fan Aries's flame, while Aries adds fiery passion. These are fun, no holds barred friendships.
- Aries and Aquarius both have an unpredictable, dynamic, and freethinking style. Additionally, an Aquarian's quirky, uninhibited, independent, and experimental style suits spontaneous Aries to a tee.
- Aries and Gemini are both versatile, inquisitive, fun-loving, easily bored, and want to experience anything and everything new and exciting. Aries is quick to act, and Gemini is quick-witted. Together, they create a dynamic duo.
Taurus as a Friend
Taurus is the fixed earth sign. Taurus is generally a good-natured, solid, pragmatic, hardworking, and helpful friend. If you're looking for a friend who is stable, supportive, calm, and will always be by your side, a Taurus could be the best friend for you. Taurus' best friendship matches are Cancer or Pisces. Both Cancer and Pisces value the loyalty and stability a Taurus brings to the friendship, and Taurus values their sympathetic natures. Taurus with either will create sweet and caring, long-lasting friendship.
- Taurus and Cancer are both stay-at-homes types who value stability in a friendship. Cancer appreciates Taurus's gentle, calm, and peaceful presence, while Taurus appreciates Cancer's intuitive and highly caring emotional nature.
- Taurus and Pisces are loyal individuals. Trust is central to both, and each tends to be quiet, reserved, and very sentimental. Pisces appreciates Taurus' dependability, and Taurus enjoys Pisces's imagination and adaptability.
Gemini as a Friend
Gemini is the mutable air sign. These quick-witted people are charming, amiable, and extremely easygoing. They are social butterflies. If you're looking for a fun and playful friend who won't monopolize all your time, that's Gemini. A Gemini's gadabout nature works best with an enthusiastic, optimistic Aries or a cheerful, humorous Leo. As friends, they always find a way to entertain each other, which is sure to yield a lifelong friendship filled with tons of trouble-making.
- Gemini and Aries are both inquisitive creatures. They bore easily, seek excitement, need personal space and freedom, enjoy lively debates, and live life at a break-neck speed. Whatever Gemini can think of, Aries is willing to do and Gemini will follow wherever Aries leads.
- Gemini and Leo feed off each other. Both are very social, playful, and passionate about having a good time. Leo brings drama to the friendship, while Gemini brings their intelligence. Together they have the makings of a fun and dynamic, long-lasting friendship.
Cancer as a Friend
Cancer is the cardinal water sign of the zodiac. Cancer's bond with Virgo or Taurus is extremely strong. When paired up, they develop a friendship based on dedication, trust, and stability. Once you build a bond of trust with a Cancer, they are gentle, nurturing, loving, protective, dedicated, and supportive friends.
- Cancer and Taurus are likely to have an intimate friendship. Both prefer staying in rather than socializing. A Taurus friend can be a calming, grounding anchor for a Cancer's active emotions. At the same time, Cancer's emotional vulnerability can relax Taurus' stoic tendencies.
- Cancer and Virgo are both very loyal to their friends, and each values stability. A Virgo friend can bring order and practical solutions into their Cancer friends' life. In contrast, Cancer brings affection and emotional guidance into a Virgo friend's life.
Leo as a Friend
Leo is the fixed fire sign of the zodiac. Leos are warm and energetic individuals who generally make lifelong friendships. As friends, they're assertive, dynamic, generous, playful, and the life of any party. Leos are bold and showy individuals whose best friends could be fun and curious Gemini and affectionate, gracious, and charming Libra.
- Leo and Gemini are outgoing and sociable, and both enjoy making others laugh. With Leo's sense of humor and Gemini's funny repartee, theirs can be a lifelong friendship filled with good times and laughter.
- Leo and Libra friends inspire one another. Each is optimistic, creative, very social, and loves to dress up. Additionally, each is classy, charismatic, and playful. This friendship combines Leo's heart and will with Libra's active intelligence and friendly demeanor.
Virgo as a Friend
Virgo, the mutable earth sign, is intelligent, shy, kind, modest, sensitive, and helpful. When the chips are down, Virgo is a friend you can count on. Virgo's most genuine and unguarded friendships will be with security-seeking and loyal Cancer or with resourceful and tenacious Scorpio.
- Virgo and Cancer are both sincere, have care-taking tendencies, and are devoted friends. Virgo will be the friend whose shoulder Cancer can cry on. In contrast, Cancer encourages Virgo to be bolder in expressing their feelings.
- Virgo and Scorpio are both private, reflective, and fascinated by the small details of life. Scorpio is perceptive and emotional, while Virgo is intelligent and has common sense. It is a pair of friends who won't go to many parties together because they're happy just spending time with one another.
Libra as a Friend
Libra, the cardinal air sign, is fair, gracious, charming, and thrives on friendships. Libras make agreeable friends who have a knack for putting their friends at ease. Libra is simpatico with warm-hearted and creative Leo or idealistic, humorous Sagittarius. These are friends that enjoy being out and about doing things together.
- Libra and Leo both have people skills, but Libra is diplomatic, while Leo is dramatic. Leo provides the friendship with strength, enthusiasm, and fixity. At the same time, Libra balances out Leo's need to be the center of attention with their charismatic charm and peaceful diplomatic demeanor.
- Libra and Sagittarius friendships are always exciting. Sagittarius adds fiery passion to the friendship and Libra activates more passion with their active intellect.
Scorpio as a Friend
Scorpio friends are strong-willed, complicated, resourceful, mysterious, and direct. These are friends that enjoy living their life on the edge. The individuals who can best understand and deal with Scorpio's complicated nature are disciplined, stoic Capricorn or methodical, analytical Virgo.
- Scorpio and Virgo are both reserved, investigative, and enjoy a good mystery. Scorpio's strength is in their emotional discernment. Virgo's strength is in their common sense. As friends, they combine emotions and earthy intellect.
- Capricorn and Scorpio are each very loyal to their friends. These are friends who will stick together through thick and thin. Capricorn can stem and direct the flow of Scorpio's intense emotions, while Scorpio brings depth and melodrama to the friendship.
Sagittarius as a Friend
Sagittarius is an extroverted, optimistic, and enthusiastic friend that thrives on variety. They are "think it, do it, be it" friends who live to laugh and be happy. The most natural and fun friendship matches for a free-spirited Sagittarian are friendly, fair-minded Libra or independent, quirky Aquarius.
- Libra and Sagittarius are both outgoing, energetic, optimistic, and very social. Each elates in friendships, and they play with and off of one another well.
- Aquarius and Sagittarius are both intelligent, independent, and open to being unconventional. As friends, they are always ready to make life interesting by breaking a few rules when they're together.
Capricorn as a Friend
The cardinal earth sign, Capricorn, makes a calm, cool, and collected friend who is firmly grounded in reality. They feel a strong sense of responsibility and are very loyal to their friends. Those most likely to have a long-lasting friendship with a Capricorn are passionate Scorpio and wise and gentle Pisces.
- Scorpio and Capricorn are both ambitious, hard workers. So, while theirs won't be the most playful relationship, they're bound to have a dynamic friendship. This pairing combines Scorpio's depth with Capricorn's need to take action in the real world. Theirs is a friendship that can master the rules of any game.
- Pisces and Capricorn are both very loyal and enjoy harmony over drama. Capricorn can bring stability to their Pisces friend, and Pisces can dissolve their Capricorn's rigid boundaries. Theirs is a friendship that can turn dreams into reality.
Aquarius as a Friend
Aquarius, the fixed air sign, makes for an intellectually eccentric, talkative, and idealistic friend. As friends, they are loyal and committed but never want all of your time. The best sun sign matches for an Aquarian are "me now" Aries and "tell it like it is" Sagittarius.
- Aries and Aquarius are both rebels at heart and never seek the approval of others. Aquarius is attracted to their Aries friend's passionate "all in," spontaneous nature. Aries is attracted to their Aquarius friend's freethinking and unique approach to life. This pairing combines passion with idealism. As friends, they have a lot going for them.
- Sagittarius and Aquarius seem to have an innate understanding of each other. Each is optimistic, upbeat, forward-thinking, and progressive, and both have a need to be free and independent.
Pisces as a Friend
Pisces are trusting, gentle, sensitive, and selfless friends who accept you for who you are. Pisces is the most secure and comfortable with a reliable and patient Taurus or a rational and disciplined Capricorn.
- Pisces and Taurus share the same interests and values. Pisces feels secure when accompanied by their solid, down-to-earth Taurus friend, while Pisces can break their Taurus friend out of their comfort zone.
- Capricorn and Pisces can form an enduring friendship that's beneficial for both. Pisces flows here and there, and a Capricorn can be their solid ground. Pisces' kind, accepting nature can soften their Capricorn friend and make them less judgemental and materialistic.
More Than Your Star Sign
Although your Star sign is meaningful, every person is much more than their star sign. So, if the generic descriptions of suitable star sign matches don't ring true, you might want to look deeper into your chart and into the synastry of your best friend and you. Get to know your friends for who they are, and you're sure to have a great relationship.