In order to determine whether you've met your soul mate or are just experiencing sexual attraction, it's important to consider the sun and moon sign compatibility of both you and the person who has captured your attention. Astrology offers a framework for understanding your relationship needs, those of your partner, how compatible you are, how to overcome problems, and what sort of relationship it will be.
1. Calculate Natal Charts for You and Your Partner
There are two luminaries (Sun and Moon), three personal planets (Mercury, Venus, and Mars), two impersonal planets (Jupiter and Saturn) and three outer planets (Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto). Each of these was moving through one of the 12 astrological signs on the day you were born. The first thing you'll need to do is find out what signs the Sun, Moon and other planets occupy in the natal chart of both you and your person of interest. You can do that easily with the free birth chart calculator available at Astrology.com, if you don't know birth times use 12 noon.
Next, you need to know which astrological signs are compatible.
|Sign||Perfect Partner Signs|
|Aries||Gemini, Leo, Sagittarius, Aquarius|
|Taurus||Cancer, Virgo, Capricorn, Pisces|
|Gemini||Aries, Leo, Libra, Aquarius|
|Cancer||Virgo, Scorpio, Pisces, Taurus|
|Leo||Libra, Sagittarius, Aries, Gemini|
|Virgo||Scorpio, Capricorn, Taurus, Cancer|
|Libra||Sagittarius, Aquarius, Gemini, Leo|
|Scorpio||Capricorn, Pisces, Cancer, Virgo|
|Sagittarius||Aquarius, Aries, Leo, Libra|
|Capricorn||Pisces, Taurus, Virgo, Scorpio|
|Aquarius||Aries, Gemini, Libra, Sagittarius|
|Pisces||Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio, Capricorn|
Now find a quiet spot, get a pencil, a green felt tip pen, and some paper. Then settle in and take a deep breath because this can be a bit like putting a jigsaw puzzle together.
2. List Sun, Moon, and Planets for Each
Now that you've gathered everything you'll need, start by making a descending list of the Sun, Moon, and planets and the astrological signs they occupy for both you and your partner. It's best if you list them side by side on a piece of paper for easy reference. As you move forward and find planets that you and you partner have in compatible signs, think ease and harmony and draw a green line connecting the two.
Take this step by step, and when you're finished, you'll understand more about how you and your person of interest affect one another, plus when you're finished you'll have a visual of just how perfect you might be for each other.
3. Determine What Each Planet Brings to the Relationship
Next, you will determine what each planet brings to the relationship and how these connections will resonate with those of your partner and be reciprocated by them.
The Luminaries and Personal Planets
Psychologically, the luminaries and the personal planets represent different spheres of your personality. The astrological signs they are in describe how you function, how you feel, what you want, and how you behave. The planets are the primary actors and archetypes of personality, but it's the zodiac signs in which the planets fall that give them a distinctive, recognizable character. Without the zodiac signs, the planets would have little astrological significance for the individual.
Venus and Mars Compatibility
Venus and Mars are the planets most associated with love (Venus) and sex (Mars). They are the motivating factors that draw you into intimate relationships. Their sign placements describe what love and sex mean to you. Together they explain how you attract and actively seek out truly intimate and life-enhancing relationships.
- Your Venus sign encompasses everything that delights you and gives you joy and pleasure. It defines what and who you love, the value you put on a person or thing, and what you are prepared to give. The sign of your partner's Venus will tell you, more precisely than their Sun, Moon, or Ascendant sign, what they are looking for in a relationship.
- Your Mars sign shows how you express your passion, what kindles your desire nature, and how you go after what you want. A love interest's Mars sign will tell you, more than anything else, what they're looking for in the bedroom.
- When your Venus sign is compatible with the sign of the Sun, Moon, Mercury, or Mars in your partner's horoscope, you simply love and find joy in that aspect of your lover's personality, and that love is reciprocated. When your Mars sign is compatible with the signs of their Sun, Moon, Mercury, or Venus, it excites and arouses those parts of your lover's personality, and that arousal is reciprocated.
- When your Venus is in a sign that's compatible with your lover's Mars sign or the other way around, it's an extraordinarily powerful aphrodisiac that can spark almost instant love and sexual attraction. This connection is the very best signature of a loving and sexually fulfilling relationship.
The Sun Compatibility
The Sun is who you are at the core of your being. It vitalizes you and gives you energy. Your Sun sign describes what you must have to feel vital and alive. The Suns of two individuals should be engaged, in one way or another, if a relationship is to thrive and shine.
- When your Sun is in a sign that is compatible with the astrological sign placements of your partner's Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, or Mars, it energizes, encourages, and supports that aspect of their personality.
- As an example: Suppose your Sun sign is compatible with the sign your partner's Venus occupies. This indicates that the love nature of your partner (Venus) will be energized (Sun) and more freely expressed when you're together and that they, in return, will make you feel loved at the core of your being.
The Moon Compatibility
The Moon shows your inherent emotional nature, how you form bonds, what you need to feel nurtured and cared for, and how you nurture and care for others.
- When your Moon sign is compatible with the signs your partner's planets occupy, you nurture, deepen, soften, comfort, and inspire those aspects of their personality.
- As an example: if your Moon is in a sign that is compatible with your partner's Sun sign, you will make them feel comfortable and secure at the core of their being, and in return, they will energize your emotional nature to nurture and care for them.
Mercury is the planet of the thinking mind. Its sign placement reveals how you communicate, what you're curious about, and how you understand and process information.
- When your Mercury's sign is compatible with the signs of any of your partner's planets, you intellectually stimulate that part of their personality and give it voice.
- As an example, if your Mercury is in a sign that is compatible with your partner's Mars, you would infuse thoughts and ideas into their actions, and they will reciprocate by encouraging you to put your thoughts and ideas into action.
4. Examine the Ascendant (Rising Sign) and Descendant Compatibility
Your Ascendant, sometimes called the Rising Sign, is the sign that was rising on the horizon at the location and moment of your birth. You'll need complete birth data (date, time, and location) to know both the Ascendant and Descendant. Once you know your Ascending Sign, the sign on your Descendant is easy. The sign on your Descendant is the sign opposite your Ascending sign. As an example, if your Ascending sign is Aries, the sign on the Descendant will be Libra.
- Your Ascendant sign shows how you view life, how you choose to present yourself to the world, and how others initially see you. It represents everything from the style of your clothes to your mannerisms. It describes how you present yourself when you first meet someone.
- The sign on the Descendant represents the kind of person you're drawn to in relationships.
- The Ascendant and the Descendant form an axis.
- The signs on both ends of the axis have significant meaning in relationships.
- The good news is that signs that are in a harmonious relationship with the sign on your Ascendant will also be compatible with the sign on your Descendant.
- Having the Sun, Moon, or some personal planets in signs that are harmonious with the Ascending and Descending signs of both individuals is usually important for there to be an initial shared attraction.
5. Take Note of the Social Planets
It's always good to have compatible sign connections by both Jupiter and Saturn to the Sun, Moon, Ascendant, Descendant, and personal planets between partner's horoscopes.
- Jupiter brightens and adds fun and optimism to a relationship
- Saturn adds stamina and relationship glue
Look particularly for your partner's Sun, Moon, and personal planets that occupy signs that are harmonious with your Saturn and visa-versa. These are important markers of commitment.
6. Examine the Outer Planets
The outer planets are slow moving generational planets that stay in one astrological sign for years. Unless your ages are very different, it's likely you and your significant other have all three outer planets in the same astrological sign. They represent qualities that are not part of the physical world and that don't typically identify as reality. Individuals who are in a relationship that has many outer planet connections to personal planets will find that they are in a relationship that will, in one way or another, transform their life.
Uranus is the planet of rebellion. It's about questioning the rules and defying authority. Its sign placement indicates where you think for yourself and do it your way. If it occupies a sign that is compatible with your lover's planets and points, or vice-versa, it injects sudden change, unconventionality, experimentation, and instability into a relationship.
Neptune is the planet of dreams, fantasies, romance, addictions, spirituality, compassion, and confusion. Where Neptune contacts are made you can be seduced, and it will be difficult to distinguish reality from fantasy. When Neptune is in a sign that is compatible with the signs of your partner's planets and points, or vice-versa, it can easily inject heavenly bliss, blissful blindness, unconditional love, dreaminess, idealism, fantasy, illusion, delusion, uncertainty, and even melancholy into a relationship.
Pluto is the great transformer. It represents deep transformational change, sex, intimacy, death, and rebirth. Even the ease of compatibility between Pluto's sign and the signs of your partner's planets and points, and vice-versa will inject passion, intensity, obsession, possessiveness, and depth to the relationship.
Perfect Is as Perfect Does
Your paper is likely to be filled with many green connecting lines at this point. You may even believe you've found your soul mate. But perfect is as perfect does, and too much compatibility and ease in a relationship can make it boring and stagnant. It is planets and points that are in signs that challenge one another that create the sparks that keep a relationship exciting, alive, and ever growing. Of course, too many challenges can make a relationship frustrating and difficult. The perfect relationship needs a balance of both. Astrological chart comparison in a complex study. However, now that you've gotten a taste of chart comparison, there are resources online that can further your inquiry. Or you could visit your friendly neighborhood astrologer to get the full scoop.