Astrology, as practiced today, is deeper, more refined, and more diverse than it was in years past. What once was considered fortune telling has become a nuanced tool for spiritual and psychological growth. There are many astrologers who led the way by finding deeper and more significant meaning in the ancient astrological symbolism.
10 of Astrology's Best Superstars
The top ten famous astrologers listed below (in alphabetical order) are legendary. They are astrology's living superstars, the innovative thinkers, "wise elders," practitioners, and teachers who elevated the image of astrology and pioneered the way for today's younger rising astrological stars.
1. Stephen Arroyo
- In 1992, Stephen Arroyo was awarded the most prestigious award that can be bestowed upon an astrologer, The United Astrology Conference (UAC) Regulus Award for Theory and Understanding.
- Arroyo is the author of at least eight books, translated into over 25 languages.
- His keen insights have redefined astrological concepts into both psychological and energy terms.
- His ground-breaking 1975 book, Astrology Psychology & The Four Elements: An Energy Approach to Astrology & Its Use in the Counseling Arts, was awarded the British Astrological Association's Astrology Prize.
- His many books are like Astro-Bibles to those who study astrology.
2. Michael Erlewine
Michael Erlewine is an American musician, photographer, TV host, internet entrepreneur, and internationally known astrologer with over 40 years of experience as an author, teacher, and counselor. He has won a number of awards including the prestigious UAC Regulus Award.
- In 1977, Erlewine was the first to apply computer technology to astrological measurements and program astrology on microcomputers. A year later, he founded Matrix Software, making the first modular astrology programs available to professional astrologers.
- Additionally, Erlewine introduced many new astrological techniques including Local Space Relocation, heliocentric techniques, deep-space astrology, and StarType astrology, which integrates geocentric with heliocentric astrology.
- By the late 20th Century, every practicing astrologer had astrological software on their computer, which means Michael Erlewine's signature is now imprinted on the work of every living astrologer, regardless of their genre.
3. Steven Forrest
It's likely everyone who has studied Western astrology in the last 25 plus years has been inspired by Steven Forrest's work.
In 1984, Steven published The Inner Sky. This truly outstanding and poetic book put Seven in the spotlight and won him the 1985 Professional Astrologers Incorporated award for "Outstanding Contribution to the Art and Science of Astrology."
The Inner Sky covered all the basics. For many students, novice astrologers, and even professionals, it was their first introduction to the world of archetypal astrology, synthesis, and astrological storytelling. Now an astrology classic, this astrological primer was the first of many books written by Steven in his trademark wise and poetic style.
- Steven was nominated for the UAC Regulus Award in 1992, 1995, and 2008
- Steven Forrest is the guru of Evolutionary Astrology.
- He currently leads Astrological Apprenticeship Programs all over the world and has trained hundreds of EA astrologers.
- Additionally, ForrestAstrology.com is filled with learning resources.
- Steven continues to give personal readings, but these are in such demand the wait can be long.
4. Demetra George
Her seminal 1986 work, Asteroid Goddesses: The Mythology, Psychology, and Astrology of the Re-Emerging Feminine, co-authored with Douglas Bloch, quickly became the definitive work on the asteroids Ceres, Pallas, Juno, and Vesta.
- Asteroid Goddesses was published at a time when many astrologers were resisting the introduction of hundreds of small planetary bodies that demanded interpretation.
- Demetra's focus on the myths of these four asteroids eased their anxiety, gave these four new feminine archetypes meaning and significance, and at the same time, brought astrologers' attention to the importance of the other asteroids.
- Over time, this has led to the addition of many additional points that astrologers found gave greater depth and meaning to their interpretations.
- Her contribution to the advancement of astrology is monumental and in 2002, Demetra George was awarded to UAC Regulus Award in Theory and Understanding.
5. Jeffery Wolf Green
Jeffrey Wolf Green lectured on evolutionary astrology from 1977 until 2001. Though he was not the first to write about evolutionary astrology, his 1984 book, Pluto, The Evolutionary Journey of the Soul, took the astrological community by storm. It stretched astrologers' understanding of Pluto's influence in a horoscope, was translated into many languages, and has now become one of the best-selling astrology books of all-time.
- Jeffery started his School of Evolutionary Astrology in 1994 and went on to teach at schools of evolutionary astrology around the world.
- His seminal work on the evolution of the soul marked the beginning of astrology's progressive embracement of avolutionary astrology.
- Eventually, he and Steven Forrest partnered in workshops, pulled their material together, and co-authored Measuring the Night: Evolutionary Astrology and the Keys to the Soul, Volume One and Volume Two.
Now retired, Jeffery Wolf Green's pioneering insights on human growth, reincarnation, and the question of human existence profoundly affected the astrology world. It was the first time in astrological history a particular paradigm and methodology allowed for an understanding of the "why" behind everything, as well as the necessity and desire for the soul's evolution from life to life.
6. Liz Greene
Liz Greene has a Ph.D. in psychology and is a qualified Jungian analyst. Liz is held in high regard by the astrological world but is perhaps most well known as an author. Her books have, for many astrologers, defined what's considered modern psychological astrology. In connecting astrology with psychology, Liz Greene made a significant contribution to the astrological world.
- Greene became famous in astrological circles with the publication of Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil. In this amazing book, she redefined Saturn, the planet of misfortune, by applying Jungian psychology and by making the case the dark and sinister side of Saturn was necessary for healthy, holistic self-development.
- Greene holds a diploma in counseling from the Centre for Transpersonal Psychology in London and the Faculty of Astrological Studies.
- She is the current director of the Centre for Psychological Astrology and runs seminars around the world.
7. Robert Hand
Robert Hand is a historian, computer software writer, author, lecturer, professor, philosopher, translator, scholar, and an icon of the astrological community. He's been a student of astrology since the early 60s and a professional astrologer since 1972. His published works are the "go to" reference books for astrologers, and most consider Planets In Transit as the definitive book on transiting planets.
- As one of the co-founders of Project Hindsight, he was instrumental in bringing about the restoration of much of astrology's previously lost and forgotten ancient heritage
- His many significant contributions to the astrological world were recognized in 2008 when he was honored with UAC's Regulus Award for his life's work.
- Robert still holds webinars, lectures at conferences, seminars, and workshops, and offers personal consultations.
8. Dennis Harness
Dennis Harness is a professional astrologer who has studied both Eastern and Western astrology for over 25 years and is a pioneer in the resurgence and dissemination of Indian astrology in the west.
- He lectures and presents workshops on vedic astrology and transpersonal psychology throughout the world and is an active spokesman for modern western "vedic astrology."
- Additionally, he is a working practitioner who continues to offer astrological services, including natal chart consultations, relationship compatibility, and Astro*Carto*Graphy.
- Dennis a founding member and former president of the American College of Vedic Astrology.
- He was awarded the title of Jyotish Kovid and Jyotish Vachaspati by the Indian Council of Astrological Sciences, as well as Lifetime Achievement Awards by both the American College of Vedic Astrology (ACVA) and the United Astrological Conference (UAC).
9. Lee Lehman
Lee Lehman has been an astrologer for almost four decades and is the driving force that pushed traditional and classical astrology forward into the 21st Century. Lee was the recipient of the 1995 Marc Edmund Jones Award that honors innovative excellence that benefits all astrologers and in 2008, she was awarded UAC's Regulus Award for Education.
- Lee is a classical astrologer and the author of nine books.
- Among them are Classical Astrology for Modern Living and Traditional Medical Astrology.
- She's a teacher extraordinaire who is on the facility of the International Academy of Astrology, the Avalon School of Astrology, and Kepler College.
- Lee also lectures, presents workshops, and teaches online courses in beginning natal astrology, electional astrology, mundane astrology, gaming, and astrometeorology.
- She's the go-to astrologer for electional or horary questions.
10. Raymond A. Merriman
Ray Merriman has been an astrologer since 1967. He holds a Bachelor of Science in psychology, with post-graduate work in clinical psychology. He began his career as a counseling astrologer before segueing into financial astrology.
- Ray is the author of many astrology books, financial and other.
- He has written two primers on financial market analysis.
- Merriman on Market Cycles: The Basics is a classic primer on cycle studies, and Basic Principles of Geocosmic Studies for Financial Market Timing is a basic textbook on the relationship of geocosmic correlations to financial markets.
- He is an international lecturer on both financial market cycles and various other aspects of astrology. In April of 2013, he launched the two-year Merriman Market Timing Academy.
- In 1995, Ray Merriman received UAC's Regulus Award for "Enhancing Astrology's Image as a Profession."
- Again at UAC 2012, he received the Regulus "Lifetime Achievement Award."
- Then in early 2013 and again in 2014, he was awarded the Gold Star by Market Timing Digest of Amsterdam, Netherlands, for having the best market timer.
Astrology in the 21st Century
Just as the aging superstars and other older astrologers were wondering aloud when, if ever, a new generation of astrologer would make themselves known, a first of its kind astrological conference was held in 2007.
The Blast Astrology Conference, held in Sedona, Arizona, was organized by a young entrepreneurial astrologer, Moses Siregar. This coming together facilitated the interdisciplinary and intergenerational cross-pollination upon which the future of astrology depended and put the new generation on stage alongside those who had been wondering where they were.
This magical event was the direct result of The Association of Young Astrologers, whose stated goal was and is "to build bridges across generational divides, to connect younger astrologers with the astrological community and to advocate for them within it."
Astrology's Rising Stars
Meet five of astrology's rising stars, all of whom are in the forefront of astrology's current revival. Their expertise ranges from the traditional and mundane to the spiritual and evolutionary.
Chris Brennan specializes in the Greco-Roman tradition of astrology known as Hellenistic astrology. In addition to his private practice, Chris lectures, teaches, and is also the author of Hellenistic Astrology: The Study of Fate and Fortune. While all of astrology's rising stars are active online, Chris is one of the most active. He hosts several websites devoted to his astrological interests. Among these is The Astrology Podcast, a free weekly show that features discussions on technical, historical, and philosophical topics related to astrology.
Gary Caton is an eclectic astrologer, lecturer, and teacher who combines elements of traditional/visual techniques, classical horoscopy, and modern astrology. He is one of a new breed of shamanic astrologers that have sparked a revival in an experiential approach that relies on direct observation of the night sky and it's natural cyclic nature.
Austin Coppock is an astrologer, lecturer, and teacher who is known for his ability to reconcile modern techniques with traditional. Austin is also the current president of the Association for Young Astrologers and the author of 36 Faces, The History, Astrology, and Magic of the Decans. This book is an in-depth study of something that's often overlooked by astrologers.
Maurice Fernandez is a leading evolutionary counselor, lecturer, and teacher, who directs a professional certification program for astrologers. He is the author of two books: Neptune, the 12th House and Pisces and Astrology and the Evolution of Consciousness.
Mark Jones, psychosynthesis therapist, hypnotherapist, and evolutionary astrologer, is a graduate of Jeffrey Green's School of Evolutionary Astrology. His work is spiritual and soul-centered. Mark is the author of The Soul Speaks: The Therapeutic Potential of Astrology.
Astrology Is Booming!
With the advent of the internet, more and more people have become interested in having their charts done, and more and more astrologers have hung out their shingles. There's always space for competent and dedicated practitioners. Unfortunately, online, the good have been joined by the bad and the ugly, and the most beautiful enticing website can mask an incompetent astrologer. How is the consumer to know the difference? Luckily you can connect with some of the best astrologers by visiting FindAstrologer.com.