Any of the astrological Sun signs can be compatible, depending on what you're willing to put up with, but some are more compatible than others. Certain combinations of Sun sign modalities, elements, and orientations will support and stimulate a relationship while others will present it with challenges.
Table of Sign Modality, Element, and Orientation
The key to determining compatibility is the modality, element, and orientation of each Sun sign.
Finding the Best Match
In astrology, an aspect is an angle the planets make to each other in the horoscope. There are five major aspects; conjunction, opposition, square, trine, and sextile. In a full relationship profile, astrologers look at all the aspect between the planets in each person's horoscope. However, in Sun sign comparisons they look at aspects between the signs.
- The wheel of the zodiac has 360°
- Each Astrological sign is 30°
- In Sun sign comparisons the aspects represent the number of degrees between any two signs
- Example: There is 90° (square) between the sign of Aries and Cancer and 120° (trine) between Aries and Leo.
Even though Sun sign comparisons won't tell the whole story, you can get a sense of the fundamental differences and similarities and how easy or challenging a relationship might be.
Sun Conjunct Sun
Couples whose Suns are in the same sign are conjunct by sign (not degree.) Their overall characteristics and energy levels are very similar, they identify with one another and are alike in many ways. However, while individuals whose Suns are in the same sign will share the same positive qualities, they also share the same flaws and weakness. Sadly, both may find it difficult to be with someone who mirrors the things they like least about themselves.
Sun Square Sun
If a couple's Suns are in the same modality, their Suns in a square aspect by sign (not degree). While their relationship will be dynamic and energizing, it will also be challenging and frustrating. Unfortunately, their differences, if not understood and handled correctly, can lead to mutual frustration
The three modalities (cardinal, fixed, mutable) establish three distinct styles of expressing energy.
- Cardinal signs, Aries, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn, start things, they are forceful and assertive initiators.
- Fixed sign: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius, are concerned with maintaining and stabilizing what is.
- Mutable: Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, and Pisces, adapt, except change and move on.
Sun Opposite Sun
Couples whose Sun signs are in opposition have the same Sun sign modality, which is challenging. Additionally, they have other basic personality differences. None the less, opposites are attracted to and intrigued by one another. However, they can easily have a push/pull, love/hate and tugs-of-war relationship.
There are six astrological oppositions:
- Aries/Libra: "I am" vs. "I balance"
- Taurus/Scorpio: "I have" vs. 'I want"
- Gemini/Sagittarius: "I think" vs. "I am"
- Cancer/Capricorn: "I feel" vs. "I use"
- Leo/Aquarius: "I will" vs. "I know"
- Virgo/Pisces: "I analyze" vs. "I believe"
Sun Trine Sun
When a couple's Suns signs are trine, they are in the same element. This indicates an easy flow of thoughts, feelings, and perspective. Cooperation and harmony provide an optimistic environment where both can prosper and grow together. Elemental compatibility is usually seen as the best connection. And while it's true the individuals share the same basic elemental strengths, they also share the same elemental weaknesses, and these weaknesses can cause problems in the relationship and drive them apart.
The four elements (fire, earth, air, water) describe four different personality types.
- Fire signs: Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius have immense energy and are passionate, dynamic, and inspiring, but all the fire signs can be temperamental and find it difficult to compromise.
- Earth signs: Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn are practical, loyal, and stable, but the all the Earth signs can be materialistic.
- Air signs: Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius are rational, intellectual, analytical, social and communicative, but all the Air signs tend to be impractical.
- Water signs: Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces are exceptionally emotional, ultra-sensitive, highly intuitive, and mysterious, but all the Water signs find emotional upheaval difficult.
Sun Sextile Sun
When one person's Sun sign sextiles another's, their Sun's are in elements that are compatible. This creates a relationship that is comfortable and natural for both. Additionally, each easily builds up, encourages, and affirms the other's worth and self-esteem.
Signs that are in different but compatible elements compliment each other.
- Fire and Air: The energetic, enthusiastic, competitive traits of the Fire signs complement the changeable, expedient, versatile traits of the Air signs.
- Earth and Water: The deliberate, stable, dependable traits of the Earth signs complement the sensitive, intuitive, emotional traits of the Water signs.
The Astrological Orientations
The astrological orientations (personal, social, and transpersonal) are often overlooked in Sun sign matching. But they are important. An individual's orientation reveals their approach, attitude, and perspective of life. Metaphorically the three orientations can be compared to looking at the world through a telescopic lens, a wide-angle lens, and a super telephoto lens. There are three orientations.
The Personal Signs
The personal signs are Aries, Taurus, Gemini, and Cancer. A personal sign's orientation is on self, their world and personal development. They act on instinct and have a tendency to be self- absorbed.
The Social Signs
The Social signs are Leo, Virgo, Libra, and Scorpio. A social sign is aware of others and is concerned with how to get along with others. They act from a desire for social interaction.
The Transpersonal Signs
The transpersonal signs, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces, Their focus is on higher vision, growth, achievement and universal love. They act on a desire to see the bigger picture and to gain an understanding of how the world works on a grand scale. They don't follow the crowd and often have a well-developed sense of what they believe to be ethically right and wrong for all.
Best Sun Sign Matches
The signs below are some of the best Sun sign matches out of a possible 144 matches. They are all Sun Sextile Sun relationships that have elemental compatibility, which means there are in harmony and naturally at ease with one another. They have different modalities, which means fewer challenges and frustrations. Additionally, they have the same approach, attitude, and perspective of life (orientation).
Aries and Gemini
Aries and Gemini are both independent, fun, playful, and optimistic. Each lives life in the moment doesn't need the approval of others or dwell on the past.
Taurus and Cancer
Taurus and Cancer both value the home and family, enjoy working towards financial security and appreciate stability in a partner. Each lives their life up-close and personal.
Leo and Libra
Libra and Leo are both optimistic, creative, and very social. They love dressing up and being the center of attention. Additionally, each has a classy, refined style, charisma, and is playful. They are people, people who enjoy interacting with others.
Virgo and Scorpio
Both Virgo and Scorpio have a private streak and enjoy spending time alone. Each has an eye for critical detail and strives to understand the surface and underlying dynamics of people and relationships.
Sagittarius and Aquarius
Sagittarius and Aquarius are both intelligent, friendly, positive, and enthusiastic about life. Their eyes are focused on the people, places, philosophies, and ideas of the entire world.
Capricorn and Pisces
Capricorn and Pisces are both very loyal and enjoy harmony over drama or friction. Though each seems very different, both see the world the same way and have a convergence of ideas and beliefs.
The use of Sun signs may provide an interesting guide to compatible matches in a general sense. However, it's impossible to assess the compatibility of two individuals by their Sun signs alone. An accurate indication of a good match and long-term compatibility will only reveal itself when a full astrological relationship profile is done by a professional astrologer.